I first published my fountain pen wish list back in October and there have been a couple changes since then.
The first pen on that list, the Platt Rogers Spencer Fountain Pen, has been cancelled. The main reason was problems with the durability of the modified flex nib. While I’m disappointed, without the flex nib the pen just isn’t the same. I probably wouldn’t have taken the pen without the flex nib. While I like the material (green ripple hard rubber) it wouldn’t have been enough to take the pen with a regular nib.
The second pen on my October wish list was the Pilot Vanishing Point Gun Metal with Black Trim. I added that to my accumulation last week, although with specialty nibs, not the standard VP nib.
This leaves my year-end fountain pen wish list as follows:
- Edison Nouveau Encore Fountain Pen – Flecked Tortoise (Limited Edition): I’ve already ordered this one. The pen is a little small since I typically don’t post my pens but it had me at the color. The flecked tortoise will be unique to my accumulation.
- Edison Signature Line Pen: This has always been on the burner, it just never made it to the list. I had planned to visit a pen show to be able to see the materials and pens first hand before making a decision. That’s not likely to occur until August or so of 2013. But I already have four Edison pens and have more confidence about some possible choices. I’m currently mulling over three distinct pen choices. I currently have some questions in to Brian at Edison Pens and those answers may knock one or two off this list.
a. The large Huron Grande in a bright color scheme such as flecked-red/white/blue, striped fleck-lollipop confetti or translucent red/white/blue.
b. Either a Huron or a #76 in black ebonite with an ink window low on the barrel. To be used as a eye dropper fill.
c. A pen in the same green ripple hard rubber as the Spencer pen. I think this would be a Glenmont.
- Monteverde Invincia, in matte black: I’m not sure exactly which model, since there are several which are matte black or “stealth” which are all the same basic design and the same nib. This one keeps popping up whenever I’m browsing pens. I like the all black (including nib) and this gets generally good reviews and is the cheapest pen currently on this list. I think an acquisition is inevitable.
- Franklin-Christoph Models 19, 33 and 40 Pocket: These remain on the list. The Edison Nouveau atop this list preempted a year end Model 19 purchase. I’ve come close to hitting the buy button several times but have held off so far.
- Nibs – I really like the Gate City New Dunn pen, even with the medium nib. Still, I think adding a fine nib, or even a broad could be a nice change. The nibs are easily swapped and reasonably priced.
The Edison Signature Line pen will be my next decision. The Huron Grande is my current preference but that does change from time to time. It’s the most unlike any pen in my current accumulation, both in size and my anticipated color choice.
While I’ve seen other pens I like, none have made it to my wish list. The Taccia Savanna pen is one that caught my attention and may make its way onto the list. It’s different enough to catch my eye. And with a street price around $190 it’s one of the few pens to catch my eye and also have an attainable price.
I also liked the two newly announced Bexley 20th Anniversary and 2013 Owner’s Club pens. But they aren’t unique enough to get me to open my wallet and add them to my accumulation.
What’s on your fountain pen wish list?