I received the December 2012 ink drop from Goulet Pens tonight. After dinner I poured a cup of coffee and did some samples and swabs. The ink selection was red and green in honor of the Christmas season. I got lucky in that none of the samples duplicated the reds & greens I’ve been accumulating. So all these inks are new to me.
These are this month’s selection and my impressions (based just on the test swabs):
- De Atramentis Fir: This is a scented ink. I’m ambivalent about scented ink but have no desire to use them. As expected, this has a fir scent, at least that’s the claim. The scent isn’t overwhelming. The green is nice, but I don’t see it being a regular for me.
- Rohrer & Klingner Verdura: I like this green, at least the swab. I’ve also liked other Rohrer & Klingner inks so I look forward to trying it out.
- Noodler’s Green: A simple, to the point name and a nice looking green.
- Diamine Matador: A nice red, but just another red to me.
- De Atramentis Oriental Red: Again, nice but just another red to me.
Green is one of my favorite colors, although I’ve yet to come across a green worthy of consideration as a favorite ink. I’ve been accumulating samples. I guess with this latest crop it’s time to begin writing with some green ink.
If my calendar is correct this is my last ink drop unless I reorder. I like getting the ink but I’ve got so much unused ink now I need to make a dent in what I already have. So I think it’s time to take a break from the monthly drops and get to using what I already have.