Which do you prefer – ink by the bottle or catridge?
Poll no longer available
I’ve been a bottled ink kind of guy for as long as I can remember. I would use cartridges for specific reasons, such as in the Lamy’s I kept in my office desk or in Vanishing Points to maximize ink supplies.
I recently began to consider using cartridges more regularly and I was wondering what other people use. So I put up the above poll. It’s unscientific and will only prove what people who read this blog and answer polls prefer. But it’ll also satisfy my curiosity.
I came up with some pros and cons for using cartridges. Any others?
- Convenience – easy to store, carry and load up the pen. Often a spare cartridge can be stored in the pen barrel.
- Less messy – no need to clean off the nib. No risk of spills.
- Less choice of ink – but does it matter if you like the ink that is available?
- Ink can evaporate from the plastic cartridges (or actually the water in the ink), unlike glass bottles. So long term storage is a problem.
- It may take coaxing to get the ink flowing when a cartridge is added to the pen.
- More expensive per ml than bottles.
- Wasteful – empty cartridges get thrown out.