I’m down to six inked fountain pen, that’s a little low for me but not unprecedented. What shocked me was that when I reached for a pen this morning I didn’t have one “business” ink in the bunch. I had four pens inked with red ink, one with orange and one with green. I’ve never thought of any ink as business or non-business since any ink is appropriate for any situation if I want to use it. Still, the lack of a basic black or blue-black ink for me was a problem. I like to use three colors for note taking, one for the bulk of the writing, usually an black or brown ink, something on the darker side. Then I use a couple other brighter colors, such as red or green, when I want something to stand out or when a topic has changed. Red, green and orange were not really a suitable trio for my note taking since it would make for a lot of bright ink on the page.
So how did I get to see so much red?
- Montblanc Bordeaux is my favorite ink, I don’t really think of it as a red ink. It’s just an ink I use a lot. So it’s no surprise that it’s in my Pelikan Stresemann. I actually do think of it as a dignified business ink.
- The Montblanc Corn Poppy Red is in my Esterbrook inkwell. Ironically, picked because I never seemed to have a red pen handy at my desk. Now all I have is red.
- I’m not sure why I picked red for the Kaweco Brass, but it seemed right at the time.
- My new Franklin-Christoph Model 20 screamed for red ink as it’s first ink. It’s the one most likely to run dry soon so I’ll have the option to pick a non-red ink for it’s next fill.
- I hadn’t inked a vintage pen in a long time and the Marine Green Sheaffer Balance Oversize was picked. A vivid green pen needs a vivid green ink.
- The Akkerman Oranje Boven is a new ink for me. My experience with orange inks is that they aren’t suitable for thin nibs, so when it came time to ink up the left oblique nib again I picked it.
I’ll be inking up a couple new pens as September begins. I won’t flush any of the red ink early, although if I had realized it, I wouldn’t have flushed the Kaweco AL Sport early just because I was cleaning another pen and it was convenient. I do keep track of what ink is in what pen, now I just have to pay attention.