I left on my road trip this past week, so my fountain pen usage remained low. I still haven’t gotten back into transcription, but I did start doing short journal entries again. I inked up my Kanilea Kona Cherry with Montblanc Bordeaux and keep it in my
I had to part with some more ink before I set off, there were a couple of reasons, but mainly space and weight. Secondarily, the first few days would see below-freezing temperatures and overnights in the single digits (F). I kept my Montblanc Bordeaux, British Racing Green, Waterman Intense Black, and Pilot Blue-Black in bottles. It’s safe to say that those inks are my four favorite inks. I still have 36 different inks in cartridges.
I went a little further south than I had intended. There was a winter storm forecasted for Charlotte (my intended first extended layover), so I headed down to Charleston. I didn’t want to deal with snow or ice, especially in an area that might not be used to it. I’m really enjoying the nice weather. It was single digits my last night in Connecticut. It’s Saturday afternoon and writing this first draft with the windows open and fresh air coming in.
Current Reads, Watches & Listens
Reading: Up Country by Nelson DeMille. The third installment of his Paul Brenner series. It’s a long book. I’m about 50% of the way through the book. So far the mystery/crime is just a MacGuffin that provided a reason for Brenner to return to Vietnam. Much of the story (so far) is about his memories and the country.
Listened: Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey. Book one of The Expanse. I just bought the final (eighth) book in the series but decided to re-listen from book 1 before I listen to it. (I have them on audiobooks.) Finished it and is still 5 out of 5 stars.
Listening: Caliban’s War by James S.A. Corey. Book two of The Expanse. I’m just under halfway through the book.
Out of Rotation
- Esterbrook (Kenro) Estie Oversized Seaglass (EF) with Graf von Faber-Castell Carbon Black Cartridge. This one never actually entered the rotation. I inked it up, but the ink never reached the nib overnight. I tried gently squeezing the cartridge and noticed a crack in the cartridge. So I pulled it and went with another ink. I put a (different) F-C Carbon Black cartridge in another pen to satisfy myself that the entire box isn’t bad.
Two weeks’ worth of activity.
- Diplomat Aero Green (14kt Fine) with Graf von Faber-Castell Carbon Black Cartridge
- Esterbrook (Kenro) Estie Oversized Maraschino (Journaler) with Sheaffer Red
- Esterbrook (Kenro) Estie Oversized Scarlet (Scribe) with Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün
- Esterbrook (Kenro) Estie Oversized Seaglass (EF) with Sheaffer Emerald Green
- Kanilea Pen Kona Cherry (EF) with Montblanc Bordeaux
- Pilot Elite Steel Lined Pocket Pen (18kt Fine) with a Pilot Blue-Black cartridge
- Spoke Design Icon British Racing Green & Brass (EF) with Montblanc Petit Prince Red Fox